This nutrient-packed salad delivers a serving of hearty kale, tender balsamic-glazed salmon and a nutty walnut relish. All these flavors, and bioactive compounds, come together for a delicious and healthy meal.
The omega-3 fatty acids in salmon have long been studied for their anti-inflammatory properties. It has been shown to be as effective as NSAID drugs in reducing pain brought on by arthritis (1). Several studies have proven that omega-3 supplementation can lead to less NSAID use in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Leafy greens, like kale, are a significant plant-based source of calcium. Calcium intake on average is below the recommended daily value. This low calcium intake has been shown to lead to an increased risk of hip fractures. Kale is also a good source of Vitamin K, which has an important role in bone health too (2).
The omega-3 fatty acid content of walnuts is notable. Walnuts are packed with healthy fats and antioxidants. They have been studied and proven effective in protecting cells from inflammation (3). They have been shown to protect against free radicals and oxidative stress. Among nuts, walnuts are one of the most significant sources of antioxidant compounds.(4).
Prep Time 8 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 23 minutes
10 oz salmon
1 tsp honey
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp coriander
3 cups kale, chopped
2 Tbsp unsweetened dried cranberries
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
2 Tbsp tarragon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Grease a sheet pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together honey, balsamic vinegar, 3 Tbsp olive oil, coriander, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pat salmon dry and place on prepared sheet pan. Brush with half of dressing. Roast 12-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- In a large bowl, massage kale with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Divide kale between 2 plates. Top with salmon, walnut relish, and chopped tarragon.